Tuesday 30 July 2019

the world's a stage wherein we are all actors.


Every child is a different kind of flower, and all together, make this world a beautiful garden -  Well whoever said this couldn't be more right. As a parent and an ex-teacher, I've always felt inspired by the magical world of kids. Every child, I've observed is a treasure trove of talents waiting to be discovered, to unfold, given the opportunity and right direction. With their innate ability to see magic in all of life, and the endless potential possibilities that they spring upon you so often, they leave me zapped and intrigued.

To me, children continue to be that important species of individuals who lead us adults, into a journey of self-discovery. They don't very often listen to you, but they are observing you all the while - in the little and large nuances you display, unwittingly, so often. They are great 'apes' who so easily imitate you. You realize you have to get your act right for them to mimic you, emulate you. You need to be watchful of what you say, for they often repeat verbatim, what you shouldn't have said! Well, it all then boils down to one single factor if you are to make the right impression on any child - your own, your students, or just about any kid with whom you interact: You have to transform yourself into a role model, worthy of being followed. 

And being bundles of abounding energy, the young ones can so often push you to that brink where there is every possibility of the dam bursting. Well, it's a huge lesson in patience they teach you - so often like waiting for the amber to turn green when you are at the wheels, running late and just need to vroom to an important meeting!

I guess one of my biggest learning experiences in all these decades, has come from children: they are keen learners who go looking for magic and make this world a marvel for us to revel in; they are individuals whose potentials need to be recognized and tapped, to be unfolded and not moulded in the direction we feel is right. 

My second innings with children is a joyous journey of self discovery in which I find immense satisfaction as I have embarked on a adventurous path, picking up from where I left off in my childhood days. All the world's a stage wherein we are all actors. Yes, with my bunch of a few dozen kids and adults, I have re-entered the magical world of Drama. I have been scripting little plays from mythology in which my bouncing energy bundles, aged 6 to 11 years have been performing annually now, for 3 years.

Here are some of the plays that I've scripted and have been enacted by these little ones. 


Play 1


Manu & Matsya Avatar
Cast: 7
Narrator 1                     Sparsh
Narrator 2                     Shraddha
Brahma                          Abhay
Vishnu                           Anish
Hayagriva                      Yuktansh
Manu                             Swayam
Fish 1                                       Purnima
Fish 2 (Vishnu)              Anish

Script
Narrator 1: Each of the 4 Yugas in Hindu mythology - Satya, Treta, Dwapara and Kali yuga - is supposed to be one day for Lord Brahma. One day of Lord Brahma is 4,320 million human years. After the end of every yuga Lord Brahma goes to sleep.
Lord Brahma: Do you know that I get my creative powers from the Vedas? But sometimes, sleep overwhelms me also. And when I sleep, there is no creation, and the universe comes to an end.

Lord Vishnu: You know that I am the God of Preservation. I descend on Earth as an incarnation whenever evil overpowers good, and destroys the Earth. Would you believe that I have come down to Earth 10 times for this very reason? In my first Avatar, I came down to Earth as Matsya or Fish. 

Narrator 2: In the Satya Yuga there was a king by name Manu. He was a great devotee of Lord Vishnu. 

Manu: I am feeling very restless. I long, I crave, to have a darshan of my dear Lord, Narayana, my Lord Vishnu. I no longer wish to enjoy the comforts and luxury of a kingdom. I only yearn to see my Narayana with my own eyes. I will perform severe penance to gratify Him so that he appears before me in all his glory and Divinity. 

Narrator 1: Manu retired to the forest to perform severe penances. He meditated for thousands of years.

Lord Brahma:  I am tired and very, very sleepy after a hard day's work. My eyes refuse to remain open any longer. 

Narrator 1: Even as Brahma was thinking thus, he fell into a deep state of slumber. He was soon snoring loudly. Hayagriva, the Asura who wished to have knowledge of the Vedas, saw this as a great chance. He emerged from Brahma's nose.

Hayagriva: Ha ha. This is the best time for me to get the knowledge of the Vedas. Let me absorb and drink in all this knowledge while he still sleeps. I will now hide myself deep inside the ocean where nobody can find me.

Lord Vishnu: Oh no, this is indeed terrible, that Hayagriva has stolen the Vedas from Brahma! Now that an Asura has it, how can it be passed on to the next Yuga! I have failed in my duty as Preserver, to make sure that this knowledge survives to the next Yuga. I now have to think of a way to get the Vedas back from Hayagriva.

Narrator 2: As Lord Vishnu was wondering what to do, he spotted Manu meditating. A plan immediately took shape in his mind. He smiled as he  realized that he could do a lot more, than just save the Vedas.

Narrator 1: The next morning, as usual, Manu began to pray by the river side. As he took some water in his hands and raised it to offer it to Lord Vishnu, he heard a tiny voice. 

Fish: O great king! Please do not put me back in the river.

Manu (looking at his palms): Oh, it's a little fish, squirming in my hands. 

Fish: (pleaded with Manu): Please do not put me back in the water. The big fishes here, will eat me up. Please save me, great king.

Manu (to himself): As a king, is it not my duty to protect anybody who seeks my help? And this little creature looks pitiable and is so scared. Manu (to the fish): Alright, come on. I will place you in my kamandal. You will be safe inside it.

Narrator 2: When Manu woke up the next morning, he heard a strong voice, call out to him.

Fish: O king…Help me…Your kamandal is too small for me. I cannot breath in here; I am feeling suffocated. 

Manu: How come, the fish now looks big! Yes, he is truly getting stifled inside my kamandal. Look at the way he is thrashing all about him, desperate to get out. I must place him in a bigger vessel. Let me fetch one.

Fish: Mighty king, you are indeed very kind.

Narrator 1: Yet again the next morning, when Manu was getting ready to perform his morning rituals, he heard a very powerful voice call out to him.

Fish: Oh honourable King, this vessel in too small for me. Please get me a bigger one.
Narrator 2: Manu was startled. The fish had grown too big. It was finding it difficult to breathe. Manu brought the biggest vessel he had and placed the fish in it. When he was about to leave for the river, the fish called out to him.

Fish: I am sorry. Even this vessel is not sufficient for me, noble king.

Narrator 1: Manu stared in disbelief as he saw the huge fish stare out of the big vessel. He gently lifted it from the vessel, and dropped it into the river nearby.

Fish: Thank you…king. You have protected me. But please don't leave me here. I am afraid of being eaten up by the bigger fishes here.

Narrator 2: Manu wondered at this magic. As he kept staring at the fish, it grew to a very large size till it covered the entire river!

Narrator 1: Manu carried the fish from one river to another river, but it kept growing bigger and bigger. Finally he dropped it into the ocean. But the fish grew so large that it covered the entire ocean! When Manu looked at the gigantic form, the truth dawned on him. 

Manu (He bowed before the fish, saying): Narayana, Narayana! You are indeed my very Lord Narayana who I have been yearning to see.

Fish (smiling at Manu): You wanted to see me and here I have come.

Narrator 2: Manu had tears in his eyes when he saw a huge horn grew on the head of the fish.

Manu: My Lord, you have granted me my only desire. I want nothing more. I stand humbly before you, to follow your Divine command! 

Fish (Vishnu): Manu, the Yuga is about to end in seven days. There will be a great flood and all living things on the earth will perish. But I wish to save you from this. I want you to build a big ship. Take with you on this ship, the seeds of all plants, the male and female of every animal, and the seven rishis along with their families. 

Manu: As you say, my dear Lord. 

Fish: But remember to bring Vasuki, the snake God also, with you.

Narrator 1: Manu nodded and bowed again as he watched the fish disappear. Vishnu as Matsya, had completed half his work. He went to the other side of the ocean to complete the other reason for the incarnation. Here he  saw Hayagriva guarding the Vedas. 

Hayagriva: Oh, what a humungous fish. The mere sight of him is terrifying!

Narrator 2: As Hayagriva stood staring at the fish, it attacked him. It gave him a huge push and sent the asura reeling. Hayagriva fought bravely. But the fish overpowered him. After a brief struggle, Hayagriva fell down, dead. Vishnu recovered the Vedas and gave it back to Brahma.

Narrator 1: Meanwhile, on the other side of the ocean Manu built his ship. He then carried out the commands of Vishnu as torrential rains washed away everything. Manu's ship bounced violently on the rising ocean waves. It looked as if it would capsize. But soon the fish appeared before them.

Fish: Manu, use Vasuki as a rope. Tie one of its end to my horn, and the other end to your ship. I will guide you out of this storm, to safe shores. Also, along the way, I shall teach you the Vedas. You will begin life afresh and uphold the path of dharma once I take you to the safety of Mount Himavan.

Narrator 1: Satya Yuga ended and a new Yuga began when Manu and his ship docked safely at Mount Himavan. Once again, the earth began to be populated and civilization began with the descendants of Manu.

*****
 



No comments:

Post a Comment