Tuesday 30 July 2019

Script of Ekalavya - The Archer Par Excellence known for his Guru Bhakti


Ekalavya - The archer par excellence
Cast: 10
Narrator 1                                                      Bhargavi
Narrator 2                                                      Sahana
Ekalavya                                                         Aditi
Ekalavya's Father                                            Sparsh
Dronacharya                                                    Shreya
Arjuna                                                             Sankari
Bhima                                                              Devika
Yudhister                                                        Shraddha
Nakul                                                              Srihari
Sahadev                                                          Pranav



Narrator 1: In India, nearly five thousand years ago, there lived a boy named Eklavya. He was the son of a tribal chief in the forests of the kingdom of Hastinapura. Eklavya was a brave and handsome boy who was loved by all. But he was not happy.

Ekalavya's father: You seem deep in thought and sad, my son. Why aren't you playing with your friends? You don't even seem interested in hunting anymore! What is troubling you?
Ekalavya: Father, I want to be an archer. I want to become a disciple of the great Dronacharya, the supreme master of archery of Hastinapur. He produces magic. He turns ordinary boys into mighty warriors. I want to learn under him in his gurukul.

Father: But my dear son, you know that you cannot train under him because we belong to the hunting tribe and he will not teach us.

Eklavya: I know father. But I long to become a warrior and not remain a mere hunter. Please allow me to leave home and seek Acharya Drona's. I will ask him to take me as his disciple.
Father: I feel proud and happy that you are so ambitious my son. I'm afraid that what you seek may not be realised. But I do not wish to discourage you. I bless you and wish you success. Go, by all means, and see if Drona will accept you.

Ekalavya: Thank you father. I will immediately leave for his gurukul.

Narrator 2: Eklavya made haste and set out to Dronacharya's gurukul where he taught the royal family. When he reached it, he was amazed to see a group of huts nestled in the midst of lush trees. Several boys were practising with their bows and arrows. But Ekalavya's eyes searched for Drona.
Ekalavya (speaks to himself): I do not see Dronacharya here! Where is he? Will I be able to see him, meet him? My purpose in coming here would be meaningless if I can't meet him. Ah, there he is. He much be the great master because he is busy teaching a boy. That handsome lad must be one of the Pandava princes, Arjuna perhaps!
Narrator 1: Ekalavya who had only heard about Dronacharya, but had not seen him before, guessed right. He approached the great master and bowed humbly before him.
Drona: Who are you, young man?
Ekalavya: Most respected Sir, I am Ekalavya, son of the Tribal Chief in the forests of Hastinapur. I wish to learn Archery under you. I humbly request you to accept me as your disciple.
Drona: You say you belong to a family of tribal hunters. Then you are an outcast. I am a Brahmin. I belong to the most superior caste. I cannot teach you.
Arjuna (In scornful and angry tone): Guru Drona is a Royal teacher. He has been appointed by our king to train us, princes, born into the high class royal family.
Bhima: How dare you come inside this Gurukul and seek to learn from our guru? A Royal Guru like him cannot teach the likes of you!

Narrator 2: Ekalavya was shocked and stunned at the princes's harsh words. Though he himself was the son of a chieftain, he never insulted anybody of a lower rank. He looked at Drona to see if the teacher would intervene. But Drona remained silent.
Drona: There is no way I will teach you. You may now leave.
Narrator 1: Ekalavya was deeply hurt and disappointed. He walked back, feeling dejected.
Ekalavya: It's not fair. After all, is knowledge not meant for anyone who seeks it? It saddens me that men are so biased!

Narrator 2: Ekalavya was heart-broken. But this incident only made his desire stronger.
Ekalavya (speaks to himself):  Why should the master's refusal deter me from becoming an ace archer? Why should my being a lower caste, make any difference to my skills or talents? What can hard work not help me achieve? I am determined to practise archery rigorously. I promise myself that I will become the best archer the world has ever seen!

Narrator 1: Though he was turned away by the teacher, Ekalavya had deep respect for Drona. He made a mud statue of Drona and placed it in a secluded clearing in the forest. In his mind, Ekalavya made Drona his guru, and began to practise archery before this image.
Ekalavya (to the mud statue): I bow to you in all reverence. You are my teacher whom I respect, admire and worship. With your blessings, I seek to become an archer of extraordinary skills.
Narrator 2: By sheer hard work, dedication and commitment, Ekalavya became an outstanding archer with exceptional skills. Months passed by. One day, his practise was interrupted by the persistent barking of a dog.
Ekalavya (to himself): From where do I hear this continuous barking? What dog is it that so disturbs me while I practise my art? I must quieten it.
Narrator 1: Ekalavya spotted the dog and shot seven arrows in rapid succession to fill the dog's mouth, but without injuring it. As a result, the dog could no longer bark, but it continued to roam the forest with its mouth open.
Narrator 2: As destiny would have it, the Pandava princess came upon the dog with its open mouth. They were learning the finer nuances of archery from guru Drona in an area close by.
Bhima: Look brother, how the creature is walking around with its mouth stuffed with arrows!
Arjuna: Who, indeed, could have pulled off such a feat of archery without causing any injury to the dog!
Drona: Such extraordinary aim can only come from a mighty archer with exceptional skills! We certainly need to meet him. Come, let us look for him in this vicinity.
Narrator 1: Their search brought them to Ekalavya who was wielding a bow and arrow.
Drona: Was it you, who shot the arrows at the dog?
Ekalavya: Yes, indeed, respected Sir.
Drona: Your aim is stunning and remarkable. From whom did you learn archery?
Ekalavya: From none other than you, my esteemed Guru.
Drona: From me? How can I be your Guru? I have never seen you before! ...... Ah, just a moment. Are you not the hunter boy who came to my Gurukul some months ago, seeking to learn under me? But I refused you. How then do you say I am your Guru?
Ekalavya: Yes, Guru ji. After I returned from your Gurukul, I was determined to learn the art. I made a statue of you, worshipped it every day and began practising before it.
Arjuna (to Drona): But Guru ji, you promised me that you'd make me the best archer in the world? And now, here is this common hunter boy, who has become better than me!

Yudhister: Yes guru ji. Have you not always praised Arjuna and said that there can be none better than him in archery?
Nakul & Sahadev: Does that mean our Arjuna is no longer the best?
Arjuna: Guru ji, this is not fair after the promise you made me!
Narrator 2: Drona who found himself cornered by Arjuna's sharp words, was bent on keeping his promise to Arjuna. He was angry with Ekalavya for putting him in this awkward situation. He was ready to punish the unfortunate tribal boy for no fault of his.
Drona (in anger): You have actually disobeyed me, Ekalavya! Anyway, if indeed you have made me your teacher, where is my guru dakshina?
Ekalavya (overjoyed): Guru Drona, I'd be only too happy to offer you whatever you ask as guru dakshina.
Drona: Don't be rash with your words young lad. I might ask you to give me something that you would not wish to give. What if you refuse the dakshina I ask?
Ekalavya: I am shocked guru ji that you think I could insult you by going back on my words! How can I be ungrateful to you for my learning? Ask me guruji, whatever you want as guru dakshina; I shall not refuse it.
Drona: Okay. Let me then have your right thumb as my guru dakshina.
Narrator 1: There was shell-shock silence as Drona uttered these words.

Arjuna (to his brothers): Though I want to be the best archer, I am horrified at Guru ji's unreasonable demand.
Yudhister (to his brothers): I cannot believe that guru ji is asking for such a cruel sacrifice, that too, from a mere boy!
Nakul (to his brothers): How will he shoot without his thumb!
Sahadev (to his brothers): But honestly, what a superb archer he is!
Bhima: Let us wait and watch. I am sure he will not make such a huge sacrifice by chopping his thumb. May be, our guru ji is only testing him.
Narrator 2: As the Pandava brothers whispered amongst themselves, Ekalavya, silently, and without flinching, chopped off his thumb.
Ekalavya: Here is my guru dakshina, guru ji. I am happy that you have accepted me as your disciple, even though I'm a low caste hunter.
Narrator 1: The Pandava princes gasped and stood in awe of Ekalavya's courageous act as he held out his severed thumb to their guru. Drona felt humbled and moved.
Drona: Ekalavya, I bless you my son. Even without your thumb, the world will remember you as a great archer. You will also be remembered forever for your loyalty to your guru.
Narrator 2: The Gods who witnessed this touching moment from the Heavens, blessed Ekalavya. Undaunted by his handicap, Ekalavya continued to practise archery with greater dedication. He could shoot arrows with his index and middle fingers. He won repute as the world's greatest archer. Drona, who kept his promise to Arjuna, continued to bless Ekalavya and grieved for having been unfair to the boy. He sought Divine forgiveness for this.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment